The purpose of this position is to perform the efficient and safe operating and maintenance of wind turbine generators including troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining mechanical and electrical systems on various wind turbines, as well as, responsible for Balance of Plant responsibilities including site ground maintenance and site equipment upkeep.
- Perform maintenance, repair and operational activities on wind turbine generators.
- Perform troubleshooting on wind turbines in a faulted state
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner ensuring all policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Have the capability to work up to 70 hour per week if required
- Have the capability to work on call during weekends as needed, including during inclement weather.
- Perform inspections of site mechanical and electrical equipment and systems, environmental mitigation measures, and infrastructure to identify operational or maintenance concerns and to ensure compliance with environmental and regulatory requirements.
- Perform and/or supervise maintenance and repairs to certain site mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Perform electrical switching operations, as needed, to support the maintenance of the wind turbines and wind farm.
- Maintain accurate and detailed daily and weekly logs and reports for site activities, incidents, and events.
- Conduct all activities in such a way to minimize equipment downtime and costs and maximize electrical generation and revenue.
- Comply with all safety, regulatory, environmental and administrative procedures at all times.
- Effectively communicate with all members of the team and/or subcontractors as required.
- Complete projects assigned by OM or others.
- Travel as needed.
- 1-3 years of experience in operations and maintenance of a wind or energy facility.
- Experience trouble shooting hydraulic, mechanical and electrical systems.
- Ability to climb wind turbine towers 300 feet in height.
- Able to perform quality control inspections and create reports on work completed by contractors or other techs performing work on site.
- Familiarity with CPR, First Aid, Hydraulics, Crane Hand Signals, Voltage Test Procedures, Lock Out – Tag Out, Infrared Testers, Multimeters, Amp Clamps, Meghommeters and torqueing and tensioning procedures.
- Able to identify, classify problems, evaluate data, establish facts and put forth educated conclusions.
- Report all scheduled and unscheduled work performed.
- Proficient computer and software skills, familiar with Microsoft suite products.
- Valid driver’s license; able to pass a DOT (Department of Transportation) physical and associated requirements.
- Comfortable working at heights and the ability to perform essential physical functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation; this includes climbing 300’ wind turbines, lifting 50 lbs. above head, and meeting the weight requirement of safety gear, 310 lbs. or less.
- Technical 2-4 year college degree or comparable Wind Industry certifications / training preferred.
Characteristics Necessary for Success
- Personal accountability and Integrity
- Ability to make informed decisions in a quick and nimble fashion
- Comfortable with a work environment that is fast paced and changes quickly
- Ability to work within a team with a positive attitude
- Enthusiastic about the renewable energy industry