Reporting to Counsel, this position will provide legal support in furtherance of Longroad’s business strategy to develop wind and solar energy projects in the United States. The Transaction Counsel will review, draft and negotiate various project agreements and documentation associated with the development, financing, construction and operation of solar and wind facilities, from the earliest stages through construction and into commercial operation. In such role, the attorney will support Longroad’s development, construction, operations and finance teams by reviewing, drafting and negotiating real estate agreements, equipment purchase and turbine supply agreements, transmission service and interconnection agreements, PPAs and REC agreements, consulting contracts, EPC agreements and O&M and warranty agreements, and structuring, negotiating and closing construction and permanent take-out loans, tax equity investments and other credit facilities. This position will be responsible for foreseeing and protecting the Company against legal risks and is expected to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Structure, negotiate, draft and review various commercial agreements with customers, suppliers and other third parties, including equipment supply, EPC, O&M, lease, power purchase agreements
- Support negotiations, drafting and critical review of real estate documents, including lease option and purchase option agreements, leases, easements, shared facilities agreements, crossing agreements, and mineral rights waivers or shared use agreements. Manage local counsel and title insurers in connection with real estate transactions
- Coordinate with project development team to ensure project development agreements are financeable
- Assist with financing and M&A transactions, including drafting and critical review of debt and tax equity financing agreements
- Support project development, operations and maintenance and asset management businesses of the Company by providing legal counsel and advice in the normal course of business.
- Manage outside local counsel
- Assist with maintenance of contract database
- Coordinate efforts with other corporate legal and senior management staff regarding corporate and project requirements to ensure maximum value and appropriate risk management
- Identify critical project risk issues and make recommendations
- Cross-team collaboration and coordination of legal workload with colleagues
- Work as a team and as an effective manager of resources, both internal and external
- Law degree required (J.D.) and must be admitted in a U.S. jurisdiction to practice law
- 5-10 years of experience as a transaction lawyer in the renewable space, including specific legal knowledge and experience in solar and/or wind matters
- Must have prior experience in the development, construction and financing of power facilities or infrastructure for an energy project developer or other energy company. Experience leading deals is required.
- Significant experience advising clients with respect to real property matters, with a focus on transactions involving utility-scale wind and solar projects and distributed generation solar projects/portfolio is a plus
- Additional familiarity in some of the following areas preferred: energy transmission, interconnection agreements, local government permitting, negotiation of tax abatement agreements and special use permits, construction issues and contracts preferred, including with respect to mechanics’ liens, lien waivers, bonds, health and safety matters, and decommissioning
- Experience as in-house counsel preferred but not required. Training with top tier law firm preferred
- Ability to identify risks and propose solutions to mitigate risks
- Ability to handle multiple projects and work successfully in a dynamic team environment.
- Proficient in Windows environment, MS Office, Outlook, Excel; technically savvy
- Corporate or transactional attorneys without prior energy project experience should not apply
Characteristics Necessary for Success
- Personal accountability and integrity
- Ability to make informed decisions in a quick and nimble fashion
- Comfortable with a work environment that is fast paced and changes quickly
- Ability to work within a team with a positive, can do attitude