The Project Engineer will assist the Project Team in executing projects in the planning and construction phases to ensure that the goals/objectives of the project are accomplished within prescribed time frames and funding parameters, either by performing the following duties personally or directing and coordinating the work of others. The Project Engineer must be willing to travel and/or relocate based on project location(s), but may be assigned to a Longroad office location for temporary periods as project schedules require.
- Manages the design, engineering and construction of utility-scale renewable energy projects, including procurement, engineering oversight, budgeting, change management, field engineering, construction management, and project turnover to operations.
- Develops and maintain project schedules, prepare construction cost estimates, oversee document control, prepare management reports, execute site QA/QC activities (including tower climbing as required), participate in the receipt and inspection of equipment and materials, prepare field reports during construction and other duties as assigned.
- Oversees construction contractor(s) as the Owner’s representative and primary contact for all construction activities, including the construction of roads, structural components, low and high-voltage electrical works, substation and solar installation at the project site.
- Supports management and updates of the work plan, staffing, and budget for each phase of project execution, including design, engineering, procurement and construction.
- Provides and/or coordinates engineering support for development and permitting activities as needed. Has responsibility for overseeing execution of and compliance with construction contracts.
- Organizes regularly scheduled project meetings to facilitate, confirm and communicate status of progress and assign tasks.
- Supports project developers to assure a seamless transition of sites into the construction phase.
- Works with Operations to define and support the requirements for successful project turn-over.
- As required, carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Oversees quality control work during execution of project and ensures compliance with reporting requirements of EPC contracts, lender agreements, and internal management.
- Works alongside Construction Manager(s) on-site to balance project workload and optimize project execution.
- Coordinates with regulatory agencies, local landowners, power off-takers, utility entities, permitting agencies, financing representatives, government agencies, and other project-level external parties.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining safety programs at the jobsite.
- Works as a team player with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Aids off-site project manager on an as-needed basis.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Engineering or Construction Management.
- Prior experience in heavy construction, including scheduling, document controls, project turnover, procurement, field receiving, construction cost estimating, engineering, budgeting, change management, and field engineering.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in engineering and construction of utility-scale renewable energy projects. Experience involving execution of work under environmental and regulatory constraints unique to renewable energy projects a plus.
- Ability to execute and/or manage multiple, simultaneous tasks within a project.
- Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to clearly present the Project and business concepts to both internal and external customers.
- Strong technical proficiency with project scheduling software, Microsoft Office Suite; AutoCAD, file management platforms and other construction support systems preferred.
- Proficient with GIS as a tool to collect, display and transmit data for projects.
- Familiarity with contracting procedures, engineering practices, construction techniques, and renewable project technologies.
- Willingness to execute extended field assignments.
- Passion for learning by doing and able to work within a dynamic and lean project team.
- Valid driver’s license.
- 24/7 on-call availability when at project location.
Personal Attributes Essential for Success at Longroad
- A collaborative style and a can-do attitude.
- Comfortable with fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to solve problems and make informed decisions quickly.
- Attentive to details and efficient.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about alternative energy.
- Integrity and accountability.