This position is intended to be a critical part of Longroad’s rapidly growing energy storage business. The Manager, Energy Storage will be in the center of the execution of commercial, technical, and business development activities for Longroad’s energy storage business. The position requires in-depth knowledge of energy storage technology and familiarity with the business case and risks associated with energy storage project deployment. Experience at a battery OEM, inverter OEM, energy storage integrator, BESS developer or EPC/consultant with energy storage expertise is important for fulfilling the requirements of this position.
The ideal candidate will be effective at working cross-functionally within Longroad as well as with outside vendors and stakeholders. Most frequently, the position will work closely with Longroad’s development, origination and operations teams.
- Work closely with the company’s project development team in early-stage prospecting by providing storage expertise in market assessment and optimal site identification.
- Support later stage development through site evaluation and dimensioning/dispatch modeling of BESS and hybrid BESS/renewable systems.
- Engage and lead efforts with third party consultants as needed to provide incremental analytical value.
- Support the origination team in RFP responses for BESS projects with regard to BESS technical aspects – dimensioning, use cases, etc.
- Work collaboratively between internal origination and finance teams along with external supply vendors to appropriately specify project requirements for quoting.
- Be a key interface with suppliers of energy storage systems in the design, bidding and execution of energy storage projects including reviewing supplier proposals and driving a deep understanding of supplier offerings.
- Support PPA negotiations as a BESS subject matter expert to properly align terms with financing requirements and supplier proposals.
- Collaborate with the company’s EPC team as well as other in-house and external functional experts during project execution to help manage.
- Ongoing engagement with energy storage vendors to ensure compliance with all contract requirements.
- 3 years of experience at an energy storage manufacturer or within the energy storage supply chain, at a consultancy specializing in energy storage or with a project developer involved in designing and deploying standalone or paired energy storage systems
- Candidates must have a solid grasp of both the technical and commercial aspects of energy storage technology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, economics, mathematics, physics, computer science or a related field
- 5 years of experience in the energy industry in a technical sales, engineering or operational role; renewable energy experience is preferred
- Experience interfacing with utilities, ISOs, etc. to ensure energy storage systems, inverters, control systems, etc. meet interconnection requirements
- Experience negotiating supply and operating agreements for energy storage systems desirable
- Specific experience in energy storage system project design, sizing and/or construction
Characteristics Necessary for Success
- Blend of commercial and technical skills
- Ability to communicate and translate technical information to company management
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with interconnecting utilities, vendors and technical consultants
- Personal accountability and integrity
- Ability to make informed decisions in a quick and nimble fashion
- Comfortable with a work environment that is fast paced and changes quickly
- Ability to work within a team with a positive attitude
- Enthusiastic about the renewable energy industry