The Asset Associate is responsible for supporting the asset management program for a portfolio of operating renewable energy projects.
- Support Director, Commercial Asset Management on all required portfolio tasks to ensure assets complete all compliance requirements and achieve target investment returns
- Maintain all portfolio files and records in the Longroad file repository
- Maintain PUC registrations and applicable paperwork, working with asset management team and counsel where applicable
- Support annual budgeting and monthly financial review process
- Maintain REC registry registrations and change of ownership forms to keep projects compliant
- Execute Renewable Energy Credit (“REC”) transactions
- Manage land lease payment schedule in coordination with real estate team and accounting team
- Respond to internal and external data requests, quantifying and analyzing historic operational data
- Partner with accounting team to ensure complete and timely debt payments to lenders and project operational vendors
- Maintain files with running accounts of various parameters that are key indicators for the asset management team (e.g. costs, generation, RECs, etc)
- Assist in monthly reporting compilation for lenders
- Complete all EIA and FERC filing requirements under direction of Director, Commercial Asset Management
- Compile first drafts of regular operating reports and management presentations
- Perform ad-hoc financial analysis to evaluate project investment opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree in a related course of study
- Minimum of 3 years of related industry experience
- Knowledge of and experience working with accounting, finance, and operations preferably in the power generation field
- General knowledge of technical operation and performance of power projects
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills to identify and solve a wide range of business problems
- Ability to manage multiple issues and clearly articulate principles, concerns, and solutions for resolution of those issues
- Working knowledge of accounting concepts, financial reporting, and finance metrics
- Must be able to work irregular work hours occasionally
- Strong time management skills with ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Experience with renewable energy is strongly preferred
Characteristics Necessary for Success
- Collaborative style and a can-do attitude
- Comfortable with fast paced, rapidly changing environment
- Ability to garner consensus from diverse internal stakeholder groups to make decisions quickly
- Passionate and enthusiastic about renewable energy
- Highly organized, able to multitask and manage multiple projects efficiently
- Integrity and accountability
The Development Director in PJM will be responsible for leading activities related to the development of solar and wind projects in this region. Work will include prospecting for wind and solar sites and due diligence to support M&A, negotiating land agreements, acquiring local, state and federal permits and approvals, completing local and state tax agreements, real estate surveys and title work, and performing other development work to support project financing. The position requires working extensively with internal subject matter experts to support origination, legal, interconnection, wind resources, environmental and permitting, construction planning, government affairs, engineering and finance activities throughout the development lifecycle. You will assist the Chief Development Officer to update the company’s PJM market plans.
- Work with senior management to achieve the market plan by evaluating project pipeline, assessing project viability / economics and providing guidance to internal and external members of the development team.
- Coordinate with our environmental / permitting team for permitting requirements such as wildlife and impact studies. Manage outside consultants’ budgets and scope, work with local and state permitting agencies to ensure compliance with permitting requirements.
- Meet with landowners, and community stakeholders to establish a positive, long-term relationship with host communities.
- Work with wind and solar resources teams to install data gathering equipment and perform a thorough site assessment for wind and solar energy projects. This includes collection of wind and solar data, project layouts, geographical analysis and turbine design recommendations.
- Assist origination team with analyzing off-take, developing revenue plans and submissions to corporate, utilities and municipal requests for proposals.
- Work with the financial and commercial team to create and manage the financial project model. Lead and assist in any sales origination, negotiation and execution of the PPA.
- Partner with the engineering and construction teams to assist in project scoping, budgeting and management.
- Ensure project milestones are met through the development process. This includes compiling and organizing data for presentation to the investment committee to assess development risk versus spending at various stages of the project’s life.
- Continue to build the project pipeline and manage multiple projects.
- Minimum of 5 years managing multiple development projects in a planning, environmental, legal, finance or engineering capacity. 5 – 7 years of experience preferred. Projects should be in renewable energy development.
- College degree required.
- Possess subject matter expertise in a business function related to the development process.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong negotiation and presentation skills.
- Ability to create forms, letters and fundamental spreadsheets using MS Word and Excel. Ability to create presentations in PowerPoint. Ability to perform internet-based research.
- Self-motivated with ability to work in a team and independently.
- Safe driving record, valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to walk over undeveloped land unassisted, travel unassisted and sit at a computer for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends to attend meetings and community events. 30-50% travel in region will be required during business hours in support of the position responsibilities.
- Experience developing solar projects from early stage through financial closing and construction in the PJM transmission territory is preferred.
- Experience leading or managing others.
- Graduate degree.
- Financial analysis and budgeting skills, formal project management training and skills or policy analysis experience.
Characteristics Necessary for Success
- A focus on creating value.
- Ability to collaborate and create support for development projects both inside and outside the company.
- Comfortable with fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to make informed decisions quickly and a bias for action.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about alternative energy.
- Self-starter with desire to succeed.
- Integrity and accountability.