The Solar Operations Engineer will be responsible for improving the energy generation and reliability of a portfolio of distributed and utility scale solar and integrated energy storage plants. This position will be the primary technical lead on a team of asset managers, technicians, operations managers and other engineers tasked with the common goal of maximizing safety and project performance.
- Develop and manage corrective and preventive operations and maintenance programs for solar and storage systems.
- Coordinate with performance engineers to develop and implement monitoring algorithms to detect project under-performance.
- Develop troubleshooting guides and coordinate with on-site technicians to correct failures across all levels of the projects, including balance of plant and battery storage systems.
- Lead the root cause analysis and remediation plans for defective equipment, enhance the design of problematic parts to improve reliability.
- Establish and manage relationships with service providers and operations teams to perform repair work. Ensure relevant standards are implemented for the successful return to service of repaired units in accordance with design and supplier standards.
- Identify and manage projects to maximize plant performance, safety, and reliability.
- Identify and manage plant repowering and capacity expansion projects.
- Support asset management teams to ensure compliance with all aspects of contractual requirements.
- Be knowledgeable of, and conduct work actions in compliance with industry standards for safety, quality and environmental protection.
- 3 years of experience working directly with solar assets in a design or operations capacity.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience with solar performance monitoring and data platforms.
- Experience with SQL, Excel and other technical software.
- Ability to travel to solar sites up to 20% of the time.
- Master of Science degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Code.
- Knowledge of battery energy storage systems.
- Experience in Python, R or similar programming language.
- Experience troubleshooting SCADA and networking systems.
- Experience in solar system design.
- Experience with reliability analysis.
- Extensive knowledge of failure modes, troubleshooting techniques, and other characteristics of industry common transformers, switch gear, inverters, photovoltaic modules and other plant components.
Characteristics Necessary for Success
- Excellent written and oral technical communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- A collaborative style and a can-do attitude.
- Comfortable with fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to make informed decisions quickly.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about alternative energy.
- Integrity and accountability.