To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
Location: Portland, ME
The primary focus of the ROC Manager will be to oversee and manage Longroad Energy Services’ (LES) Remote Operations Center (ROC). In this role the ROC manager will oversee a variety of plants in terms of size and generation type. While the role will focus on C&I solar in the short term, the right candidate will have the skills needed to build and operate a fully NERC compliant 24/7 operating center. This monitoring and operation must be done in compliance with all ISO, Transmission Owner (TO) and NERC requirements and procedures.
· The ROC Manager will be responsible for maintaining the staffing, budgeting, time approval, goal setting and personnel performance management of their team. ROC manager will have direct P&L responsibility for their cost of service.
· The ROC Manager will establish and maintain excellence in operations by performing the following tasks: Train and ensure proficiency of the ROC operators, manage ROC operators across all shifts, ensure that procedures and policies are created and utilized, ensure that regulatory and safety requirements are in compliance at all times. Establish KPIs and measure performance based on real time response. Perform root cause event evaluation and establish corrective actions to prevent recurrence.
· The ROC manager will be the technical point of contact for all utilities, Balancing Authorities and reliability coordinators across all regions and will ensure proper and effective communication exists between LES ROC and the other control rooms. The ROC Manager will ensure that the ROC is the center of operational communications between the sites and the balance of the company when coordinated efforts are needed to respond to events and to maintain safety and regulatory compliance and consistency.
· The ROC Manager will coordinate ROC operator tasks, reinforce proper communications, and ensure LES management team is kept informed of all unplanned events or extended outages.
· Work as an operator on shift as required
· Perform other activities as assigned by management.
· 3+ years of increasing responsibility to include managerial experience at a 24 hour operations center.
· 5+ years of experience in the power and utilities industry, preference toward transmission operations and event experience.
· Bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as; Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or Power Plant Engineering..
· Strong managerial, communication (oral and written), and organizational skills.
· Direct experience operating and monitoring power plant operations and/or electrical substations. Strong preference given to those with wind and/or solar experience.
· Understanding of training required by operators in their role; training experience preferred.
· Able to perform well under pressure.
· Able to work across multiple departments to create alignment and establish/follow priorities.
· Experience planning and implementing long term plans.
· Willingness to work a flexible schedule as needed.
Characteristics Necessary for Success
· Personal accountability and Integrity
· Ability to motivate individuals to work as a team
· Strong understanding of fundamental operating behaviors for a control room environment
· Ability to foster a work environment focused on safety and human performance excellence.
· Ability to make informed decisions in a quick and nimble fashion
· Comfortable with a work environment that is fast paced and changes quickly
· Ability to foster and work within a team with a positive attitude
· Enthusiastic about the renewable energy industry